Sunday, November 12, 2006

Ruam Mit

11.09.06

A couple of weeks ago, my father-in-law told us that he was planning on going to Thailand with my brother-in-law. When my wife heard that, she was instantly wanting to go along as well.

After talking it over, however, we discovered that the major reason she wanted to go to Thailand was because she loved Thai food, and that she would be content waiting to go to Thailand some other day if we could simply eat more Thai food here!

Thus on Saturday, we headed to Ruam Mit Thai Cafe in St. Paul. This is my wife's first recollection of going to a Thai restuarant back when she was younger and her dad took her there as part of a pseudo Take Your Daughter to Work type day.

She was very excited as we sat down and got ready to order. I say "she" instead of "we" because my excitement didn't even compare to hers. And Ruam Mit did not disappoint - the first thing on the table were the appetizers, Cream Cheese Wontons and Spring Rolls. The Spring Rolls were good, and they were nice enough to combine the two different types they offered to give us a combined version that we wanted, but the Cream Cheese Wontons stole the show. We declared that this was one of the best places in the cities to get Cream Cheese Wontons.

For the main course, we can tell you that I got #35 and she got #63, but we didn't really take notes, so that's about all we can give you. A Google search tells me the correct spelling of my wife's dish is Mee Kathi, which I thought was pretty good. It was almost like spaghetti with a bolognese sauce, only it was rice noodles, and the sauce was made up off ground pork, red curry, coconut milk, and kafir lime leaves, then topped with cilantro. Mine was pork with bell peppers and onions in a garlic and black pepper sauce served with rice.

Both were quite yummy, and we each like each others, so now we can trade off leftovers this week, which is awesome. Of course, I'm still a little bit in trouble for not making enough of the Pad Thai to have leftovers, but this helps. ;)

2 comments:

Corgimom said...

In contrast to the wonderful wontons was the iced thai coffee. It was more of a smokier brew than I am used to, and I wasn't sure I liked it. After drinking more of it I decided that Taste of Thailand, Supatra (was Sawatdee at the St. Paul location) and Mei Village make a more palatable iced thai coffee. For those of you who have yet to experience this tasty drink, Thai coffee is simply coffee with sweetened condensed milk. This drink does not disappoint the sweet tooth coffee drinkers, like myself.

Kelly said...

I'm loving this new blog, btw!

The best cream cheese wontons I had in Mpls were at Azia. A close second was available at Chiang Mai Thai.

I'm kind of missing life on Lyndale Ave these days :-(