Monday, November 27, 2006

Home Cookin': Double Turkey Dumpling Stoup


Double Turkey Dumpling Stoup
Originally uploaded by CorgiMom.

11.26.06

We hadn't made/had any soup for a while, so Sunday my wife chose a "stoup" recipe she'd seen on Rachael Ray the other day: Double Chicken Dumpling Soup. I stopped at SuperTarget on the way home from church and she gave me the ingredients list... which meant that we had to be creative. This particular recipe called for gnocchi, and when I asked several employees at SuperTarget, they looked at me as if they were sure I was making the word up. Thus, you see some tortellini (tortelloni? I can never remember the difference) instead. I was also unsuccessful at finding Italian Bread Crumbs, but Panko bread crumbs made for a fine substitute, as did ground turkey for ground chicken.

Which just goes to show you, don't be afraid to be creative. I think the dish actually worked better than it would have been with the gnocchi, and DW mentioned several times how much she liked the meatballs. We then kept it on the stove for some friends of ours who came over after house hunting, and they gave it their stamp of approval as well (granted, it was almost 4pm and they hadn't eaten lunch yet, so we probably could have fed them cardboard and they'd have been happy).

They also got to have some of the gooey goodness dessert leftovers my mom had made for Thanksgiving. I can't remember all the stuff that goes into this thing (pudding, cream cheese, whipped cream, peanut butter cups, oreo crumbs), but it's all really bad for you, which means it tastes oh so good. Definitely a dish to enjoy in moderation, but enjoy we did. Maybe if my mom knows of a link to the recipe somewhere I can post it sometime.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

You were probably better off sans-gnocchi (to mix French and Italian). Austin and I have had terrible luck with store-bought gnocchi and don't feel like making our own...

CorgiDad said...

Yeah, the last gnocchi we bought was decidedly unimpressive, so I think we would agree. The only gnocchi that I can think of that we have both liked was at Tratoria DaVinci in St. Paul. Guess we'll have to go back there some day to get a good example of gnocchi on the blog. ;)

Kelly said...

Perhaps the LundeRoys could join you on that trip. The best gnocchi I had was at La Toscana, a restaurant that used to be in the Calhoun Commons area near Barnes & Noble. Austin has never had good gnocchi :-(